Friday, April 22, 2011

Knicks Ramble: You Have a Duty to Tune in

Before the trade deadline, my favorite team acquired Carmelo Anthony from the Denver Nuggets. In Mr. Anthony's first game, an adrenaline-fueled team devoid of any chemistry won a ho-hum regular season matchup. It was a 6 point win over the Milwaukee Bucks, a lottery team. The Knicks could have played anyone that night. It just didn't matter, because it was the franchise's most important game in a decade.

A couple of days later, I attended a Nets-Suns game at the Prudential Center with Kobash and Herzog. I told them about the importance of Mr. Anthony's first game (at length, as you could probably imagine). Their response?

"The Knicks have had 'the franchise's most important game in a decade' about 5 times this year."

I mean, crap, that was true. The Apostrophe's first game, Knicks-Heat I, Knicks-Celtics I...the list goes on and on. I started to even remember that I touted those games as being so. It's just been that type of season, and tonight is another one of those nights. At 7:00p.m. EST, the new-look Knicks will take the stage for their first home playoff game this year.

I promise you, this one is truly different. I live in New Jersey (yawn) and I feel the electricity from here. I hate myself for being lame enough to actually say that, but I really believe it.

If you live in the tri-state area, you have to find a way to catch the game. You just have to. Sneak away from dinner for a couple of minutes. Put the drink down for a second. Let this one Friday night of the year be about this team. I don't care if you don't like the NBA, or even sports, for that matter. If you have any affiliation with New York, you owe it to NYC. When the Knicks play well, scientific evidence suggests that life is generally much better. Don't fight science. You'll lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment